bianca burgess' study guide blog

Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Meaning is not in the words

The meaning of a message does not come from the source, but it originates from the network. From reading Cynthia's post about this assignment she helped me to understand the extremely formal code of the language that was spoken in Shannon and Weaver II. For example we all living in the United Stated all speak the same code, which is english. But because I am not in the class on Mondays and Wednesdays and therefore am not able to hear the lectures which explain the subcode spoken by Shannon and Weaver I am only able to understand Cynthia's particular subcode because it is written in terms that are more plausible for me to grasp.

The meaning of messages only come to formation through the network in which they were created. This means what someone sends out comes to formation through the situations and culture or medium it comes through. For example the way I dress and the clothes I put on will send out a different message to different people. However each person was raised to believe the limitations between what appropriate dressing is like will affect their perception of me and what I have on. So the cultural network that each person comes from will determine their meaning of my message and will not be determined by me the source. So even if I personally do not feel that what I have on is revealing if I live within a conservative network and people like myself are not the majority the meaning of my message will comply with the network in which I am surrounded.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home